Naima's Published Titles

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Computer's Back Up

Sharon's husband Rick, who is a tech wiz, got my computer up and running. It crashed Sunday after I wrote a particularly thrilling scene -- Yes! Like a soprano who shatters glass with the purity of her highest note, I crash computers with the brilliance of my prose. Hahahahah.....

The scene is actually two scenes intertwining (in the same house), in which each of my characters with Point of View (POV) act without knowledge of the other's near presence. While Julian and the men are drinking in the sanctuary of Gilbert's drawing room, telling each other they have nothing to worry about, Anika's confronting the evil one floor above. In Julian's scene, the men are discussing a newspaper article Julian's holding. I introduced The Charleston Gazette to tell some of the story's action as the plot unfolds. Bram Stoker did this in Dracula. I love it, because this allows me to tell the story even though the two POVs aren't at the scene. And it's another way I can show escalating crisis in the background. Tonight, I'll finish The Gazette article. Even if I don't present the whole article in the scene, the men will be discussing the article so I have to know what's in it. I mean, I know know, but until I write it I don't know the details. What does Mrs. Beachum think happened to her husband? Where does she think he goes during the day? Mention of her physical discomfort and langor. How do the men react to those details? Depends on the man. I love how some in this group of survivors are each growing outward into unique personalities that drive the debate. These men consider themselves protectors of the realm but are clueless. They are former war heroes and the richest men in town but as other men see to the workings of their business they have little to do now but hang out with each other and drink. Their view of their own control over things doesn't match reality and I'd like to show Julian's growing understanding of that (he has no idea Anika's saving the day with his father's Revolutionary War sword, one plat-eye at a time). If I publish and am universally panned, I will still have had the pleasure of creating this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment